I went for a run today on our farm road. I caused quite a panic; my in-laws had never seen such outlandish behavior. They had heard of people running for exercise, but never seen it in the flesh. They thought that I was running towards a crisis.
They’re never quite sure what to do with this crazy American with the strange ways. Here’s a short list of items that have caused much entertainment for the locals:
- Running for exercise.
- Eating basil. (It sprouts all over our farm. I gathered armfuls and made pesto. When my brother-in-law learned of my latest recipe he roared with laughter and shouted: “Uau! Why, next you’ll be eating grass!” I have yet to confess my love of fiddleheads).
- Making starfruit cake.
- Wrapping cord around a beach ball to make this.
- Thinking that swinging a scythe makes a great cardio workout.
- Paying the kids to clean up the trash in the back yard.
- Eating fish.
- Petting the stinky farm dogs.
- Drinking milk with meals (and being over 10 years old).
- Loving vegetables, not rice & beans.
and my husband added… “Left America and married me.”
Obviously, crazy is relative.